GWC COORDINATION TRAINING OF TRAINERS
To strengthen the skills for leading humanitarian WASH coordination platforms to better serve affected populations in a humanitarian response, the GWC has developed two 5 days residential trainings:
- WASH Operational Coordination (WOC) training
- Leadership and Coordination (L&C) training.
To ensure the adequate roll out this training across UNICEF regional and national offices, the GWC has developed a Training of Trainers scheme, in which identified senior UNICEF staff, GWC partners and external consultants will be trained on delivering the two trainings at country or regional level.
GWC TRAINING PATHWAY
This course is part of the GWC training pathway, created for both WASH Cluster partners and UNICEF staff involved in coordination to ensure the efficient WASH coordination in humanitarian action. This training pathway includes the following courses, most of them available in AGORA's catalogue:
- Partners' briefing on Humanitarian WASH coordination: Three succesive face to face briefing modules providing essential information on partner’s roles to actively participate in humanitarian WASH Coordination. For all WASH partners involved in humanitarian response
- Humanitarian WASH Coordination Induction: 2 days online training providing essential information and tools to coordinate WASH Cluster. For WASH partners or new UNICEF WASH staff fulfilling a WASH coordination role. Some sections are specific to IMO
- WASH Operational coordination (WOC): 5 days residential training providing operational tools and skills for WASH coordination. For Humanitarian WASH cluster / sector coordinators
- WASH Leadership & coordination (L&C). 5 days residential training to strengthen the skills for leading humanitarian WASH coordination platform. For Humanitarian WASH cluster / sector coordinators
- Government Led coordination of WASH in Emergency (GoLWIE, not yet on Agora). Several days workshop aiming at strengthening the role of national and regional government in leading and coordinating the humanitarian WASH response. Under pilot phase. Contact GWC if you are interested to pilot a GoLWIE in your country
- Market-based programming for WASH in Emergency (MBPWIE): 5 days residential training to strengthen the skills of WASH practitioners on Market and Cash related tools used for WASH programming
- GWC Information Management Training: 5 days residential training to provide Information Management Officers with advanced skills to support information management for WASH coordination platforms during emergencies
- Coordinated assessment process: Planned for 2020
- GWC training of trainers: ToT are specifically designed to train high level UNICEF staff and partners to deliver GWC training in autonomy
Form a roaster of UNICEF / GWC certified trainers able to deliver the WOC and L&C training modules.
- Improve participants’ pedagogical and training facilitation skills
- Ensure participants are familiar with the content and delivery methods for the WOC and L&C courses
- Practice delivery of WOC and L&C sessions
Primary targets of this course are:
- Senior WASH UNICEF staff likely to deliver or coordinate the delivery of the courses
- Senior GWC partners staff likely to deliver or coordinate the delivery of the courses
- Identified freelance consultants likely to deliver the courses
Participants must have at least 10 years of experience in Humanitarian WASH and a demonstrated experience in leading teams and programmes.
The ToT course is expected to last 11 calendar days, including a day off, preceded by an online pre-course module
- One large training room capable of seating 20 with tables of 4 with large empty walls
- Projector and screen
- Sound system and microphone
- Other materials are described in the annex “Venue and material requirement” of the ToT material
FACILITATION TEAM REQUIREMENT
Four full-time facilitators are required, mixing the following profiles:
- Training organization and facilitation
- Experience in delivering L&C course
- Experience in delivering WOC course
- Experience in teaching and learning
- Experience and skills in high level WASH cluster coordination
- Experience and skills in high level WASH Cluster Information Management
- Experience and skills in Leadership and Communication
The ToT course consists of the following:
- Pre-course module (3 days):
- 1 month before the training, participants are sent the link to the pre-training module on AGORA, with some activities they have to complete.
- Participants are assigned one or two specific sessions of the WOC and L&C courses, that he/she will have to deliver in front of the other during the ToT, with the help of GWC ToT facilitators
- Face to face training: during the two weeks ToT, WOC and L&C training sessions are delivered by the participants themselves to the others. There is a debriefing/Q&A after each session.
COURSE EVALUATION METHODOLOGY
- Level 1 evaluation (Reaction). After each day, learners complete a short online evaluation providing feedback on training methodologies, pace and facilitation.
- At the end of the 4.5 days dedicated to the WOC, an online evaluation is done by participants
- A similar evaluation is sent at the end of the 4.5 days L&C ToT
- A mark will be given by trainers to evaluate participant’s participation during the ToT.
- Based on the participation, WOC evaluation mark and L&C evaluation marks, decision will be taken by the trainer’s team after the training to validate participants as GWC WOC/L&C certified trainers. An electronic diploma will be sent to them